One of the most dangerous types of EMF pollution is so-called “Dirty Electricity”. This is when the electrical power lines and wiring within your home contain frequencies other than the normal 60 Hz electrical current (50 Hz in Europe). These additional frequencies piggyback on the electrical wiring and radiate into your living environment. These frequencies then interact with your body, causing the following health effects:
- Sleep Disturbances
- Cognitive Impairment
- Heart Arrhythmia
- Mood Swings
- Weakening of the nervous, endocrine and immune systems
- Increased risk of serious chronic illnesses such as cancer
Typical causes of “Dirty Electricity” include:
- Solar System Inverters (converting DC power to AC power)
- EV chargers (SMPS converting high current AC power to DC power)
- PLC Smart Meters (sending data over the powerlines by adding additional frequencies)
- Wireless Smart Meters that add pulsed frequencies to the powerlines
- CFL and some LED lightbulbs
- Light Dimmer Switches
- Electrical devices in your home and on the grid that have a switch mode power supply (SMPS)
- Wireless technology (all wireless frequencies conduct along copper wiring to some extent)
There are several methods available to reduce dirty electricity, such as filters from Stetzer or Greenwave. However, these are often not adequate to properly filter the dirty electricity coming into a home and many EMF consultants advise against using them (read this article and this article for a technical description of why). Special whole-house filters can do a better job, but even they will not completely reduce these frequencies. The best method is to find the sources (either in your home or from the grid) and try to eliminate them (contact me to learn how to do this). Installing solar power on your home is definitely not a good idea if you are concerned about EMI/”dirty electricity” issues (unless you only use DC and forgo the DC to AC inverter).
For more information on dirty electricity, read Dr. Sam Milham’s book “Dirty Electricity” and watch the following two videos. There are four common ways (with various meters) to measure dirty electricity that can be found here.
The following video shows EMI/DE that is on the neutral/ground wire of a home’s electrical wiring. The Stetzer/Greenwave capacitive filters don’t address this (and can actually add to it).