Thank you for your interest in this important topic! Reducing EMF pollution is one of the most important things you can do to improve the health of your family. Over time, many people will experience negative health effects if they use technology improperly. The following are the basic steps that will allow you and your family to use technology safely for many years to come.
1.) Replace your wireless devices with wired versions. This includes:
- Cordless “DECT” phones
- Wi-Fi router (at the very least, use a Christmas light timer to turn off at night and consider using a Router Guard)
- Laptop computers – use an Ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi
- Wireless baby monitors. Learn more here.
- Wireless “Smart” Meters
2.) Use your smart phone safely:
- Keep the phone on “Airplane” mode most of the time.
- Never put a cell phone to your head.
- Use speaker phone or this Air-Tube Headset for voice calls.
- You can also place a Ferrite Bead on your headset wire to reduce the radiation transmitting to your head. This video demonstrates this.
- Do not carry a cell phone in your pocket or bra unless it is on “Airplane” mode.
- Do not use the phone while in a car – radiation levels are increased.
- If you must use a cell phone, do so primarily for text messages and emergencies. Save high data activities and voice calls for a wired internet connection at home.
How to use an iPhone safely (Video)
3.) Use your laptop computer wisely:
- Use a wired Ethernet connection for internet (rather than Wi-Fi).
- It is best to use a laptop that is on battery power (not charging/plugged-in).
- Use a wired external keyboard and mouse to reduce the EMF exposure to your body.
- Keep the computer a few feet from your body – never put a laptop on your lap / body. You can place this radiation shield between the laptop and your body.
- Take frequent breaks and ground yourself in your garden / lawn as often as possible.
- Utilize wireless iPads sparingly – never stream video or music using Wi-Fi.
A wired computer and a Defender Pad EMF shield are key steps to take.
4.) Create a sleep sanctuary – One of the most beneficial steps you can take is to reduce EMF exposure while you sleep:
- Unplug everything in your bedroom at night.
- Keep cell phones, iPads and other electronics out of your bedroom. Use a simple battery-powered alarm clock.
- Turn off the electrical circuit breaker to your bedroom at night. Just keep a flashlight by your nightstand.
- Make sure any remaining wireless devices in your home are turned off at night.
- Sleep under a bed canopy that blocks out the microwave radiation from the local cell phone towers and wireless “smart” meters. This is my favorite bed canopy for travel.
- Consider having an EMF professional help you create a sleep sanctuary. You can learn more about this here.
6.) Determine if there is a cell phone tower or other wireless transmitter near your home. I like the Safe and Sound seen on this page to affordably check a home. If there are powerful transmitters, consider utilizing a bed canopy that blocks out microwave radiation while you sleep (especially important for children).
7.) Begin educating your neighbors, friends and family. Much of the EMF pollution in your home may actually come from your neighbor’s Wi-Fi, cordless “DECT” phones and wireless “smart” meters. Gently begin to show them this pollution with your new meter and share the health effects and solutions seen throughout this website. My book is also the best resource I have for beginners in this topic. You can create an entire community that is aware of and reduces EMF pollution.
Good luck and thank you!
This article was updated February 2020.